Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Woman who does many tasks - The Star

May 7, 2008 By JADE CHAN

MY ADUN

Full name: Rodziah Ismail (PKR)
Age: 43
Marital status: Married to electrical engineer Rosdi Shabuddin
Children: A son and two daughters.
Education: A graduate in civil engineering from Universiti Teknologi Malaysia. Obtained a higher national certificate in early childcare education and development from Scotland.
Profession: Operated two preschools previously.Worked as a civil engineer before that. Now a fulltime politician.
Party post: Parti Keadilan Rakyat wanita wing deputy chief.
Service centres: Section 23 and Bukit Kuda, Shah Alam
Contact: Tel No: 03-5544 7622; Mobile No: 019-243 6672/ 016-262 2159; E-mail: keadilanbt3@gmail.com
Blog and website: www.rodziahismail.com.

BATU TIGA assemblyman Rodziah Ismail can be a role model for the women of Malaysia. She is a person who does multi-tasks, but when she needs to focus on completing one particular task, she makes sure it is done, despite the other distractions.

“My Jack-of-all-trades character and multi-tasking nature could be a weakness at times, but I do manage to get things done,” she said.

Rodziah, the deputy chief of the Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) women’s wing, won the Batu Tiga state seat under the Shah Alam parliamentary constituency in the recent general election. She beat Umno incumbent Salamon Selamat with a 3,563-vote majority. Rodziah obtained 15,852 votes while Salamon polled 12,289.

Rodziah, a civil engineering graduate, was appointed a state executive councillor after the Pakatan Rakyat coalition took control of the state. She is in charge of welfare, women’s affairs, science, technology and innovation.

“I like reading and sewing. If I’m really focused, I can complete my sewing task within a day or two, like a whole set of cushions for Hari Raya,” the plucky mother of three said.

“I can sew baju kurung, baju Melayu, cushions and curtains. I make it a point to make at least one set of baju kurung for my daughters and myself for Hari Raya, and they really appreciate my efforts,” Rodziah said. “About half my wardrobe features my own handmade baju kurung, though I’ve had to buy more now to suit the various functions and nature of my job.”

Rodziah, who lives with her electrical engineer husband Rosdi Shabuddin and their three children in Section 18, Shah Alam, likes doing things at her own time and pace, and previously ran her household on her own.

“I’ve rescheduled my daily programme to fit all my priorities, and got a maid to help with the household chores,” Rodziah said.

“I’m still getting adjusted to my new role, and I’m looking forward to being able to manage work and find time for my passion,” she said.

StarMetro: How much time to do you spend on the computer?

Rodziah: It used to be up to three hours a day. Now it’s limited to about an hour to read blogs and news.

StarMetro: Do you blog or have a website?

Rodziah: My blog-cum-website is www.rodziahismail.com. It has all my schedules, activities and contact details.

StarMetro: What kind of music do you listen to?

Rodziah: I like slow instrumental music as I find rock music noisy. My favourite music stations are Klasik and Sinar, but I listen to Era for current music. My favourite singers are Uji Rashid, the late Sudirman Arshad, Jamal Abdillah and Mariah Carey.

StarMetro: What do you read?

Rodziah: Books on motivation, Islam and self-help – those which I can gain knowledge from. I most recently read The Leadership in You.

StarMetro: Are you into English Premier League football? What’s your team and who is your favourite player?

Rodziah: Chelsea, because I like the combination of the team’s skills. I haven’t had time to watch their matches now because of the general election and heavy workload, but I still keep track of their matches and results. Zidane is my favourite player, though Beckham is good too.

StarMetro: What sports or games do you play?

Rodziah: Hockey and athletics (marathon and long distance running) during my school days. Now I do aerobics on my own during weekends and recently picked up futsal.

StarMetro: Coffee or tea?

Rodziah: Sabah tea. It’s grown in an untainted environment and I like its flavour. I have two cups of it every day.

StarMetro: Got a nickname?

Rodziah: OG, a nickname which has stuck since my schooldays.

StarMetro: What languages do you speak?

Rodziah: Malay, English, and basic conversational Arabic.

StarMetro: What are the gadgets you can’t do without?

Rodziah: My laptop and handphone. My personal laptop is a small Fujitsu Touch Screen; the one at office is a HP. I use my Blackberry for communications purpose and to coordinate my schedules at the state executive council office and two service centres.

StarMetro: What’s your favourite food?

Rodziah: Kampung dishes, particularly lemak style. My children and I enjoy a dish that I cook – Masak Lemak Ikan Merah with Pineapple.

StarMetro: You have a weakness for ....

Rodziah: Books! When I hold a book, I must finish it even if I’ve to stay up to do that. I buy two to four books every month. Knowledge is very important. I make it a habit to read before I sleep.

StarMetro: What is your contribution to environmental conservation?

Rodziah: I separate my garbage and recycle. I also make organic compost for my garden, where I grow vegetables and herbs like chilli, tomatoes, lemongrass and kaffir lime.

StarMetro: Name an idol whom you look up to and why.

Rodziah: In politics, it’s Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, because he’s a person of principle and has the charisma and leadership to unite people. In religion, it’s Prophet Muhammad, because he teaches us to be good Muslim.

No comments: