Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Easy on a Sunday - The Star

May 5 - By SANGEETHA NAIR Photo by T.K. LIM

sundaymetro@thestar.com.my

IF YOU are ever at Sunway Pyramid or Subang Parade in Petaling Jaya on a Sunday, you may just find Subang Jaya assemblyman Hannah Yeoh and her husband, Ramachandran Muniandy, sipping coffee there.

“Sundays are when I catch up with Ram after a busy week. Both of us love coffee. Our favourite hangouts would be Uncle Lim’s Cafe, Old Town White Coffee or Starbucks,” said the politician who resides in USJ 6, Subang Jaya.

Yeoh, who loves Nasi Lemak, said Uncle Lim’s Cafe in Subang Parade is where she has this dish. She also likes eating at the row of stalls at SS14.

Although she is well groomed, Yeoh does not spend much on clothes and accessories.

Over a cuppa: Hannah Yeoh catching up with her husband, Ramachandran Muniandy, over a breakfast of coffee and toast.

“I am quite a simple person really. I hardly wear make-up and if there is one thing I am crazy about, it would be earrings,” said the 29-year-old.

Yeoh said she has collected about 50 pairs of earrings over the years.

“Earrings are not expensive. You can get some really nice ones for RM10,” she said.

She is also not the type of woman you would find in a hair salon.

“I am not too adventurous with my hair, especially after my disastrous hair experience a long time ago.

“I used to have very long hair when I was in school. Then one day when my parents were not home, grandma decided to take me to the salon. She had my hair permed and then told the hairdresser to cut it short. I looked like an aunty. To this day, everyone remembers me for that hairstyle,” she said.

Yeoh, who is an event manager by profession, got married to Ram, a systems engineer, in January this year.

“We are a team not only in marriage but also in politics. Ram is also a DAP member and we both share the same sentiment on fighting injustice and corruption,” said Yeoh.

When the couple are at home, they share the household chores and sometimes hook up their laptops and surf the Internet.

“We usually surf the Net for news and information,” she said.

When asked if she can cook, Yeoh said: “My husband would be the right person to answer this. I am able to whip up a simple meal but whether it tastes good, I am not quite sure.”

The simple and sweet Yeoh said her most daring attempt in the kitchen was to cook chicken curry for her father-in-law.

“My husband liked it but I don’t know if my father-in-law was impressed!” she smiled, adding that her curry was very Chinese as it was her mother’s recipe.

Yeoh, who studied at SMJK Subang Utama in SS18, was an all-rounder in school until she received her SPM results.

“I was the head prefect, I was active in sports and co-curricular activities. And I used to score straight A's for my exams but when I did not get all A’s for SPM, everyone was disappointed.

“But I kept telling myself that all is not lost and that I could still be successful one day. Since I was good at language, I took up Law,” she said.

Yeoh has a Bachelor of Law from University of Tasmania, Australia.

She practised law for three years before going into event management which she is still doing.

“I have taken a month’s leave from work to concentrate on my new role as a state assemblyman and to allow myself to sink into things,” she said.

Yeoh now spends her weekends attending functions, meeting residents and meeting the Press.

“There has been a lot of major changes in my life this year which I need to adapt to. The first being my marriage and the other being my job to serve the people of Subang Jaya.

“I receive around 50 e-mails a day from the residents and I try to reply all of them and attend to the pressing issues. Ram and I hardly have time to visit the malls or even do the chores these days,” said Yeoh, who claimed that she had always wanted to champion the rights of the poor and marginalised.

“I feel stirred every time I see injustice. This is what drives me,” she added.

No comments: