Saturday, April 26, 2008

It was either politics or business for Ean Yong - The Star

April 26, 2008 By CHARLES FERNANDEZ

MY ADUN

Name: Ean Yong Hian Wah (DAP)
Age: 29
Marital status: Married
Hometown: Semenyih
Constituency: N28 Seri Kembangan
Profession: Full-time politician
E-mail: hianwah@gmail.com


SERI KEMBANGAN assemblyman Ean Yong Hiah Wah would be running his family manufacturing business in Semenyih had he lost in the general election.

However his second attempt proved to be fruitful as he not only beat two others for the seat, he is now the state executive councillor in charge of New Village Develop-ment and Illegal Factory Task-force.

“I was ready to run the family business if I had lost. Instead, I find myself crafting out a good management plan as both an exco member and an assemblyman,” said the 29-year-old accountancy graduate.

Ean Yong, who is also known as Au Yong to others, must thank his college mate Bukit Bendera MP Liew Chin Tong (with whom he attended the New Era College in Kajang), for helping him to make his inroad into politics.

“He was the one who introduced me to DAP adviser Lim Kit Siang six years ago. I was made chairman of the state DAP two years ago although I lost in the 2004 general election in Kampung Tunku,” he added.

Ean Yong has a penchant for mountain climbing. His last outing was up Gunung Tahan.

If mountaineering is easy for Ean Yong, his new position as an exco member would not be as easy as it comes with the heavy responsibilities of serving the rakyat.

StarMetro: How much time do you spend on the computer?

Ean Yong: I normally spend around six to seven hours a day on the computer both at the office and at home.

StarMetro: Do you play a musical instrument, dance or sing?

Ean Yong: I play acoustic guitar. I enjoy it and I’m glad that I chose it.

StarMetro: What kind of music do you listen to? Name a favourite song?

Ean Yong: I love Mariah Carey and David Tao. Hero is one of my favourites.

StarMetro: Are you into movies. Name a favourite movie?

Ean Yong: I love “Star Wars”. I have the whole collection.

StarMetro: How do you stay healthy?

Ean Yong: I love mountain climbing. I’ve climbed Gunung Tahan four times since I was 13.

StarMetro: What do you read. What was the last book you read?

Ean Yong: I read The World is Flat by Thomas L. Friedman.

StarMetro: Coffee or Tea?

Ean Yong: I like cappuccino.

On top of things: Ean Yong working on his laptop in his office at the State Secretariat building in Shah Alam.

StarMetro: What languages can you speak?

Ean Yong: I speak English, Malay, Mandarin, Hakka and Cantonese.

StarMetro: What is the gadget you can’t do without?

Ean Yong: At this moment, I think hand phone is the “must”.

StarMetro: What is your contribution to environmental conservation?

Ean Yong: I love the rainforest and islands of Malaysia. I’d hate to see it destroyed.

StarMetro: What is your favourite food and drink?

Ean Yong: Any food that is typical Malaysian and it must go well with water (my favourite drink)

No comments: