Monday, April 21, 2008

Sri Petaling folks recount horrifying experiences to MP - The Star

April 21, 2008 by Tho Xin Yi

SRI Petaling residents are worried about the crime rate that is increasing in their neighbourhood.

A group of them got together recently to recount the terrifying incidents that had happened to them and hope that something would be done to restore peace.

Kindergarten teacher Liew Ee Choo had a knife pointed at her neck while she was getting into her car at Taman Sri Petaling during lunch hour.

“The man ordered me to give him my handbag and threatened to scratch my face with the knife,” the 41-year-old said.

Marketing officer Au Li Ching, 24, was a victim of snatch theft after work.


Coming together: Kok (right) discussing the issue with residents.

“I was walking towards the bus station and a man on a motorcycle snatched my bag. He didn't succeed but I fell and hit my head.

“When he turned back for a second attempt, I shouted at him and he went away,” said the 24-year-old, who received a stitch on her scalp.

Sherene Law, an administrative clerk, was also there to share her sister's encounter.

“My sister reached her house in Jalan Radin 1 one night and a man broke her car's front passenger window and tried to take her handbag.

“She was managed to grab her handbag and the man then tried to break the driver's seat window instead.

“She honked to attract attention and the man fled on his partner's motorcycle,” she said.

Taman Sri Endah resident Tan Nyuk Boey also suffered losses when thieves broke into her flat in February.

“I came home one afternoon and found that the front door had been forced opened.

“The thieves damaged the grille and took away Singapore dollars, a tin of coins and my husband's and daughter's passports,” the 58-year-old said.

Luisa Lau, 40, said burglars had attempted to break into her dance studio in Jalan Radin Anum, Taman Sri Petaling, thrice since last year.

“I have taken preventive measures and they did not succeed. But many of my neighbours had experienced the same thing and suffered great losses,” she said.

Seputeh MP Teresa Kok said she would call for a meeting with the Brickfields OCPD and the residents.

“I received calls from residents in this area frequently, informing me about the robberies and break-ins. I am as helpless as them,” she said.

She proposed that the residents chip in and employ security guards, adding that the presence of security guards might be useful in fending off robbers and burglars.

“Those whose houses have been broken into or have been robbed must make police reports,” she said.

No comments: